Tuition Waivers & Exemptions
Translate this page in your preferred language:
Student Business Services processes the Exemptions and Waivers for Texas State University. Texas State requirements are listed on each form and the deadline is the twelfth class day of the fall/spring term and fourth class day of a regular summer term.
- Please note: Any portion not covered by the waiver or exemption is the student's responsibility to pay by the appropriate semester due dates.
Academic Progress for Waivers and Exemptions:
Section 54.2001 Continued Receipt of Exemptions and Waivers has been added to the Texas Education Code and requires Texas State University to comply with the new legislation.
In order to continue receiving certain exemptions and waivers, students must meet the University’s grade point average requirement for making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree or certificate, in accordance with the institution’s policy regarding eligibility for financial aid.
Additionally, hours considered excessive under Texas Education Code, Section 54.014 Tuition for Repeated or Excessive Hours, may not be eligible to receive the exemption or waiver.
The GPA requirements are indicated in the table below:
Selective Service Requirements:
Texas Education Code Section 51.9095 requires all males between the ages of 18 and 25 receiving a loan, grant, scholarship, or other financial assistance funded by state revenue, including federal funds or gifts and grants accepted by this state, or receive a student loan guaranteed by this state or the Texas Guaranteed Student Loan Corporation, must register for Selective Service in order to qualify for specified exemptions and waivers.
For additional information on Selective Service requirements or to verify your registration status, please visit http://www.sss.gov
Below are the exemptions and waivers honored by Texas State University. All original documents for these programs should be turned in to the Student Business Services Office (JC Kellam Building, Room 188) by the twelfth class day of the fall/spring term and fourth class day of a regular summer term. Please click on the name of the designated program to review the requirements as mandated by the College for Texans website. Request forms received after those dates will NOT be honored.
*Requires University Approved Form
Exemptions remove tuition and/or fees assessment for students with Texas resident status.
- Adopted Students Formerly in Foster or Other Residential Care
- Blind/Deaf Student Exemption Program
- Children of Disabled or Deceased Firemen, Peace Officers, Game Wardens, and Employees of
- Exemption for Highest Ranking High School Graduate
- Exemption for Peace Officers Disabled in the Line of Duty
- Exemption for Peace Officers Enrolled in Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice Courses
- Exemption for Students under Conservatorship of the Dept. of Family and Protective Services
- Exemption for the Surviving Spouse and Minor Children of Certain Deceased Public Servants (Employees)
- Exemption Program for Children of Professional Nursing Program Faculty and Staff *
- Exemption Program for Clinical Preceptors and Their Children*
- Firefighters Taking Fire Science Courses
- Military: Texas National Guard Tuition Assistance Program
- Senior Citizen, 65 or Older, Free Tuition for 6 Credit Hours
- Senior Citizen, 65 or Older, Free Tuition for Auditing Classes
Waivers reduce a student’s tuition assessment rate from non-resident status to Texas resident status.
- Competitive Scholarship Waiver
- Competitive Scholarship Waivers Template
- Exemption for Economic Development Program
- Exemption Program for Children of Professional Nurse Faculty and Staff
- Exemption Program for Clinical Preceptors and their Children
- Mandatory Graduate Assistantship Courses
- Graduate Students Holding Assistantships Waiver (Formerly Titled Research Assistants and Teaching Assistant Waiver)
- Tuition Waiver for Students from Neighboring States Continuing Upper Level Undergraduate Students_LA
- Tuition Waiver for Students from Neighboring States Continuing Upper Level Undergraduate Students_NM
- Waiver for College Faculty and their Dependents
Good Neighbor Scholarship:
Financial Aid and Scholarship Office
J.C. Kellam Building, Room 240
Military and Veterans:
Office of Veterans Affairs
J.C. Kellam Building, Room 111